Are you making fitness your priority? I’ll be honest. Today my trainer must have been reading my mind because I have found every excuse under the sun to avoid my workout. At this moment, I am busy, tired, and frustrated because I cannot seem to catch up to all of my work. These reasons alone should be enough to make my fitness a priority today. Especially since I know if I miss my workout, that I will feel even worse physically and mentally, because I know I would have let myself down. You know that fitness is such an important part of your day, not only for health and lifestyle but also if you want to succeed in your goals of competing for your next pageant or fitness competition. So many contestants believe they will wait until the months prior to their pageant competition before they decide to lose the weight or develop their muscle tone. Somehow, you like to play that risky little game assuming you will reach your goals on time. But ask yourself if you are just trying to reach a one time goal, or if you are creating a new lifestyle that will support your goals for years to come.
After spending one year dedicating myself to reaching a new level of fitness, one thing I have learned is that fitness does not always come easy. There are temptations of food, lack of time, and energy that we often use to dismiss our workouts. Here are some tips I have incorporated into my life that help me reach my fitness goals and keep me on track:
Fitness in 5 Easy Steps
- Set a Goal – What is your ultimate fitness goal? Are you trying to lose weight or body fat percentage? Is your goal to develop muscle and strengthen your body, or just look and feel as healthy as possible? When you know exactly what you are trying to accomplish then it becomes easier to track your results and create an attainable plan.
- Set a Timeline: One thing you should have on your side is time, so use it wisely. If you desire to create a specific goal in 3 months then write this goal in your calendar. Set a daily plan as to what parts of the muscle you will be developing and what exercises you will do every day to achieve this plan.
- Get an Accountability Partner: When you are first starting your fitness journey, it seems easier to stay on track with your daily exercise goals if you have a partner who will work out with you or train you. I knew my sedentary lifestyle created habits that needed to change, so I hired a trainer to help me in the gym and create a new mindset for me. One that I could take daily steps towards reaching so I did not set myself up for failure or set myself up to get hurt in the gym. I needed to learn how to use the equipment and target a workout routine that was built specifically for my body and my fitness goals.
- Track Your Nutrition: There are so many APPS out there that will assist you in counting calories, fat percentages, and anything you need to know when it comes to nutrition. It is said that 80% of your fitness comes from your diet! If you consider that you do not have enough hours in the day or enough energy to outwork a bad diet, so your food and nutrition needs to be prioritized. I use My Fitness Pal which helps me stay on track and get enough calories and proteins to build muscle. Plan your meals and snacks so you don’t set yourself up to fail.
- Be Patient: You need to love yourself and give yourself permission to let this fitness goal be a journey. Let’s face it. You did not get out of shape in two weeks, so you cannot expect to change your body in a short amount of time. Be patient with yourself, be kind to yourself and honor your journey. Celebrate the fact that today you are healthy enough and strong enough to create a wonderful fitness regimen that will ultimately provide you with a healthier and stronger body. Enjoy the journey and celebrate the small successes… just don’t celebrate them with cake!
Live Inspired Miracle Workers,